Business Relocation – Relocation Services
Planning a stress-free business relocation can be simple if you follow a few steps
Business relocations can be time-consuming and are likely to affect the productivity of your business. Large organisations often have the resources and capability to absorb the disruption. However, for small businesses, the influence can make a significant impact. The expense of a business relocation combined with the loss of productivity brought about by interruption may lead to a significant loss of work or even customers. Therefore, it’s essential to prepare as much as you can so that when moving day comes, the transition will be efficient. Allowing you to settle into the new office minimising any effect on business continuity and productivity.
Reasons for Business Relocation
Understanding the driving factors behind a business relocation can help create a focused and well-structured plan. Here’s a detailed look at each reason:
- Outgrowing the current space: As enterprises expand, their spatial requirements may increase, necessitating a move to accommodate additional staff, inventory, or equipment.
- Access to a better location: Improved geographic positioning could lead to increased foot traffic, access to a target market, or logistical benefits for shipping and distribution.
- Attracting new customers: Relocating to a more vibrant, accessible area may help attract a larger or different clientele, thereby boosting revenue and brand recognition.
- Expansion and growth: Growing businesses requiring additional branches or facilities to manage increased operations may opt for relocation.
- Acquisition or merger: Mergers and acquisitions can lead to location changes, as the newly combined organisation needs to strike a balance between its pre-existing infrastructures.
Plan the process
Take the time to complete a detailed plan or list of all the things you need to run your business. Phone and internet services, access for customers, space utilisation for your staff, the layout of the office and workspace and all the other things that you need to run the daily operations of your business. Take photos of the new space and draw a plan to make sure that you can work efficiently in the new office. Document where things will go in the new office and engage with staff and trades to ensure that your plan will work. The main goal is to ensure you maintain business continuity minimising downtime and loss of productivity. Help from a successful Business Relocations company can go a long way to ensuring a smooth transition.
Here’s an in-depth look at each aspect to consider:
- Phone and internet services: Plan the installation and setup of phone and internet infrastructure, ensuring connections are established promptly to maintain communication and vital business operations.
- Access for customers: Consider accessibility for clients in the new location and accommodate their needs, such as parking availability, visibility, and proximity to public transportation.
- Space utilisation for staff: Account for sufficient desk space, conference rooms, break areas, and other facilities that cater to your employees’ needs, taking care to maintain a healthy and comfortable working environment.
- The layout of the office and workspace: Design a practical and efficient office layout that optimises work areas for productivity while incorporating necessary storage and equipment.
- Daily operations requirements: Prepare for any specific needs of your business, such as specialised equipment, storage, security systems, or accessibility accommodations for disabled employees.
Plan for downtime
With all the planning completed, ensure you have thought about the thing going wrong. Even though you have planned everything things can still pop up that impact this plan. Such as a telephone or internet connection failure, Fitout running behind time or inclement weather on the day slowing things down. Communicating with staff, clients, suppliers and business partners that you are going through the process or relocating your business and there may be disturbances to normal processes will help relieve the stress during this move.
Consider the following disruptions and build strategies to minimise their impact:
- Telephone or internet connection failure: Have a backup solution, such as mobile hotspots or temporary phone redirection, to maintain communication during the transition.
- Delayed fitouts: Create a flexible timeline in your plan to accommodate potential delays in construction, renovation, or fit out completion.
- Inclement weather: Monitor weather forecasts and have alternate dates or contingency plans in place, such as temporary covers or additional labour support.
- Unexpected roadblocks: Prepare for unforeseen legal or regulatory issues that may impact the moving process by consulting with legal advisors or coordinating with local authorities.
- Equipment or inventory challenges: Establish backup plans for any equipment failure or missing inventory, whether it be temporary rentals or rush orders on replacements.
Benefits of Hiring a Business Relocation Service
Choosing a professional relocation service provides numerous advantages, including:
- Expertise and experience: A seasoned team skilled in managing complex relocations can streamline your entire moving process.
- Efficient and organised packing: Professional relocation services safeguard office equipment with suitable packing techniques.
- Minimal downtime: Trained movers ensure a quick, priority-driven transition to minimise disruptions to daily business operations.
- Complex IT infrastructure handling: Business relocation services possess the technical know-how to safely transport sensitive IT infrastructure.
- Insurance coverage: Professional movers offer adequate insurance coverage to safeguard against costly damages or delays.
- Vendor management: A business relocation service coordinates with vendors to make the entire process more efficient.
- Employee integration: Relocation experts assist in integrating employees into the new environment, contributing to overall productivity.
Hire the best business relocations company
Make sure that the relocation company you hire has a track record and it can demonstrate that they have done this type of work before. Partnering with a business relocation expert will ensure that your office move is a success. Evaluate feedback and reviews from clients they have previously moved to and online sources about their experiences with various moving organisations. In addition, review the services offered, experience, and costs for the service you require. When you have made the decision, ensure the scope of work and costs are clearly defined. And note the service requires you to move to your new facility.
For more information or to organise a relocation survey, get in touch with us today!