Office Removal Checklist – A Step-by-Step Guide for Your Next Move
Several factors contribute to the success of an office removal process — a dedicated team, a professional office moving company, a detailed action plan, and more. Regardless of the size of your business, however, having a detailed office relocation action plan can prevent issues from popping up during the move. To help business owners and managers such as yourself achieve a stress-free move, we are sharing this office relocation checklist to help guide you on what you need to do.
Ready To Move? Need A Free Quote? Call us Now!
Office Relocation Checklist for a Smoother Move
Step 1: Advanced Preparation
For some, preparation is all about straightening out the kinks right before moving day. For others, it means months of reviewing, planning, decision-making, and more.
You may have your own preferred method for approaching the move. Moving experts, however, suggest having a detailed office relocation action plan at least a week before the move.
Below are a series of things you should do before the office relocation.
- Review your lease on the commercial property – Find out how soon you should start the office moving that lets you take full advantage of your payment while not losing your deposit.
- Collect quotes from different office moving companies – The goal is to get the best value for your money; this means quality service at an affordable rate.
- Consider getting moving insurance – If you’re moving expensive equipment, you will need insurance to protect your assets from damage.
- Put together a team of organised and responsible people – Moving requires a detailed office relocation action plan to reduce stress and challenges, so make sure you find a team that can create a plan and follow through with it with minimal bumps along the way.
Step 2: Communication
All relevant internal and external parties should be informed as soon as you have a detailed office relocation action plan in place.
Parties who should be notified and updated of the move include:
- The current property manager or landlord
- All team members
- All employees
- The IT department (the sooner they’re informed, the better)
- Local partners, supplies, and any affiliated businesses
Your change of address should also be forwarded to the following parties/individuals:
- Partner businesses and clients
- Any governing organisations
- Banks and financial institutions
- Telephone company
- Water company
- Accounts department (if any)
- Insurance company
- Internet service provider
- Other third-party entities you work with
Step 3: Immediate Preparations
As you draw closer to moving day, your team needs to kick into full gear — there’s a lot to do!
To make sure your office moving targets are met, you’ll need to:
- Have an inventory of existing furniture
- Plan out and order new furniture you may need
- Gradually store items and equipment in a self-storage facility (your moving company can help with this)
- Get a detailed floor plan of the new office
- Send the floor plan to the office relocation company
- Create a plan for employees who will need to work remotely
- Finalise security codes for the new office
- Sign any necessary paperwork
- Take care of permits and licenses
Step 4: Labelling and Label Placement
THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT ASPECT OF YOUR RELOCATION
- Remove any pre-existing labels
- Unlabelled items will not be moved
- Label all cartons with labels provided by Business Relocation Services only
- Labels are colour coded according to the destination at new premises. Use ONLY the colour issued to you. If unsure please speak with your Move coordinator.
- Affix a label on the side of the carton identified as ‘place label here’
- Affix a label to each component of your computer including – keyboard, mouse, monitor, hard-drive, speakers, scanner, docking station, printer etc.
- If furniture items are being relocated, be sure to put the Business Relocation Services label on a flat surface in a location that is easily identifiable.
- If moving furniture such as chairs, please place labels on the arm rest or feet (not fabric surface)
REMEMBER – ‘NO LABEL NO GO’
CARTONS/CRATES & STATES
- Securely tape the bottom of carton
- Ensure the carton/crate is completely filled, however please do not overfill the carton
- Securely tape top of carton so that it the surface is flush
- Please do not write on the cartons/crates. If you require additional information to be placed, attach a sheet of A4 paper to the side of the carton/crate
- Do not over-load the carton/crates15 kilograms is the maximum weight that can be lifted by an individual.
- Power down and turn off the power to your desktop computer unplug and separate the components. Affix labels to all items (as advised above in labeling and placement instructions)
- Place all the leads, keyboard, mouse into one zip lock keyboard Bag supplied by Business Relocation Services. Use ONLY a short piece of packing tape to seal the bag. Place the Screen into another separate Pink Bubble Bag supplied by Business Relocation Services. Use ONLY a short piece of packing tape to seal the bag.
- Place the CPU into another separate Pink Bubble Bag supplied by Business Relocation Services. Use ONLY a short piece of packing tape to seal the bag.
- Laptop docking stations must be left for your PC connection to take place. Place into another separate Pink Bubble Bag supplied by Business Relocation Services. Use ONLY a short piece of packing tape to seal the bag.
- DO NOT pack leads or other peripherals into cartons as this will delay the reconnection and testing of your PC
- Please take your laptop and PDA’s home prior to the commencement of the move. (including the bag, power pack, cable locks etc).
- Please leave your docking station and ensure a label is affixed
- The security of these items remains your responsibility
- Label your telephone handset. Place into another separate zip lock keyboard Bag supplied by Business Relocation Services.
- If unsure if the telephone unit is to be relocated please check with your Move coordinator
KEYS & PERSONAL ITEMS
- Tape your keys to the top of the cabinet or storage unit to be relocated
- Please remove any personal items and take this home with you prior to the move. This may include photos, memorabilia, money etc.
- For internal churns, tambour cabinets can be relocated by Business Relocation Services.
- Please ensure you lock or tape shut the units.
- For external relocations, contents of tambour cabinets must be emptied.
WHAT TO PACK
- If the item fits into the supplied Business Relocation Services, Office Relocation Carton please place it inside.
- If the items is too large and will not allow the carton to be closed in its natural form, place affix a Business Relocation Services label to the item.
- Pack the contents of your desk, personal files, reference documents, loose stationary into the cartons.
- For internal churns, pedestals (under-desk mobile draw) can be relocated by Business Relocation Services full.
- Please ensure that these units are either locked or taped shut.
- Please take any valuables or breakables home with you.
OH&S AND MISCELLANEOUS ITEMS
- Place a Business Relocation Services identification label on these large items, there is no need to box them.
- Put the labeled items in a clearly visible place with your cartons or computer.
Safety First – OH&S Requirements
There are a number of avoidable injuries that can happen during relocations.
Manual Handling & Strain Risks
A manual handling injury can occur when you;
- lift, push, pull, carry or otherwise move, hold or restrain an object
- Place packing boxes in the location you intend to leave them, then fill them.
- Stack crates a maximum of 3 high.
When lifting an object
- Avoid heavy or ungainly loads and avoid twisting.
- Bend at the knees.
- Hug the load (keep the load as close to the body as possible).
- Keep the back straight.
Disconnecting electrical equipment will be done by a specialist team
- Log off your machine and leave the disconnection to the specialists.
Obstructed Pathways & Trip Hazards
- Do not clutter or obstruct to pathways. Watch for trip hazards.
- Keep fire exits clear.
- Place garbage in designated areas.
- Do not walk away from low positioned open filing draws: others may not see them.
During packing you could come into contact with dust. People with respiratory issues such as asthma and allergies should avoid contact by requesting access to protective equipment if required.
Report any issues to your first aid officer or OHS representative.
Step 5: The Move
If you follow the previous steps in this office relocation checklist, you’ll be surprised at how stress-free an office relocation can be. Of course, much of the work will also be taken care of by the office movers. This is why it’s crucial to find a professional moving business with years of experience.
During the move, it’s best to focus on these key things:
- Proper handling and storing of IT equipment
- Tracking the movement of other large and valuable equipment
- Proper arrangement of furniture and items
- Keeping the office relocation company and your own team stocked with refreshments
- Making sure that all telephone lines, internet services, and water services are operational
Move Day Checklist
I have packed all of my belongings.
I have removed my items from refrigerators, kitchen & coat cupboards.
My desk, drawers, and cupboards are empty.
All storage keys have been left in the locks.
My personal, sentimental and fragile items have been taken home.
I am taking my laptop home.
I have packed my headset in my crate/box.
I have labelled my footstool and placed it on my crate/s.
I have left my docking station/PC, mouse and keyboard.
I have disconnected any Kensington locks from my docking station.
I have told my Move Coordinator I am ‘ready to move’ and have been signed off.
I have my new security pass.
All my items are labelled with the correct destination number.
I have left the area by the nominated shutdown time of 12 noon on Friday 29th June with my personal items
Wrapping It All Up
Office removals can be challenging work but following an office relocation checklist will make the move much easier. If you want to get the best advice for planning, Business Relocation Services not only provides you with expert insights on planning the move but also quality moving services at an affordable cost.
If you like this post keep reading one of our other posts: Warehouse Relocation Checklist: Your Way to Easy Move